Friday 1 January 2016

Jo's January Finish - Winged Creatures

This month's theme is Winged Creatures.  That could be Owls, Ravens, Crows or in this case - Bats.

I have stitched this month's design already!  Only 18 hours into the New Year and I had a piece to show.  This is actually the header from a Just Nan design called Counting Bats.  The whole piece is a rhyme a little like the magpies' One for Sorrow.  You will have to wait for each month to see what each  number means.  By a strange co-incidence each section of the design ties in perfectly with our monthly themes*


Because I seem to have altogether too much time on my hands today I have made a little collage using extracts from the main design and rotating them in Paintbox.

The design is stitched on 28 count lilac line, it's a much nicer colour than in the photos.  I'm using AVAS silks for the main design but switched to DMC for the over 1 words.  The AVAS seemed too "bouncy" and wasn't lying nicely.

So, I've set the example - what have you got lined up for this month?  Do you like the themes this year?  I've made them a little more open to interpretation this year.  eg Winged Creatures can cover a lot more than simply saying "Bats".



* of course it's a co-incidence, anyone would think I set the themes deliberately to fit in with this piece!

9 comments:

cucki said...

Lovely xx

Carla - Alaska Wolf Pack said...

Excellent idea! I had been thinking about using pieces and parts of patterns I already have...maybe I'll do that today instead of what I should be stitching haha!

Heather said...

Great idea and stitching!

Shebafudge said...

How amazing that the themes tie in with the design. I wonder how that happened? Lovely stitching though :)

April said...

Love the piece.

Lili said...

Lovely stitching!!

Lisa Dunn said...

January 1 finish?! Sigh, you have certainly set a very high bar. lolol

I love bats, and I really like your piece...and your collage. :o)

I'm hoping to squeak mine in under the wire this weekend.

Stitching Noni said...

Congrats on a Jan 1 finish! Love your collage :o)
And yes, I did wonder about the order when I saw what you were stitching this year :o) :o)
Great choice!
Hugs xx

Anonymous said...

I'm way behind with my stitching again but I'm going to do the same thing this year - use my larger Halloween pieces but stitching the relevant sections each month. Finally dragged out some charts last night and now just need to find fabric. Yours is a great choice!